Sunday, July 22, 2007

Going back down the Dempster Highway to Eagle Plains

We got to Inuvik at 5PM the night before and now it is 9AM and we are off, it is alot nicer weather wise and we hope to see more than we did coming here yesterday, you've already seen this trip once, but now see it in reverse, I think you'll like it, we found it beautiful, and the second part of the trip from Eagle Plains to Dawson was utterly amazing, truly some of the best scenery Cindy or I have ever seen, well worth the muck and mud and anything else we had to go through, I hope to soon get those pictures up













Cindy has no sympathy for me when a mosquito bites me in my eyelid, but the next day one bites her in the corner of her eye.......different story









They have about 4 emergency airstrips on the Dempster Highway, they just widen the highway out and put up a sign, oh, yeah they also have a wind sock up








Right off the Dempster, in the middle of nowhere, is a music camp, all the basic structures stay there all year long and the the musicians come in, put tarps over their tee pees, or cabins and have a concert, they were getting ready for one when we were there







































We crossed back over the Artic Circle, everyone gives you a certificate for that, we have them for Gracie and Rainier now, it's sunny and much nicer this time






It took years to build this highway, I had always assumed that the permafrost issue was an ecological issue, but it really isn't, when they are building a road, they can't remove any of the ground because it must not be disturbed, it has to remain solidly froze for stability, to do that they actually put styrofoam and insulating building platforms on top of the soil before they put a layer of road on









The Eagle Plains dining room and bar, the first night they served buffet, moose and carrots were one of the choices, spaghetti with wide noodles and not much sauce, was another, and some kind of sauce the guy coudn't remember, anyway all for $20, toast was $5, they said it cost them $6 to get a loaf of bread delivered




































































2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wilderness Girls,
Believe it or not, I have tried to leave a comment every time I have an opportunity. I am not sure why some of them are disappearing - but I do not see them anywhere.
You are doing a great job at narrating this trip that we are on. You are giving us a wonderful "word picture" story album. I hope you know how appreciative I am for the time and energy you are using -- so that we can "come along" with you and Cindy on this adventure. I need to send you some gas money -- to help pay for my "ride". This has been so good. And I haven't had one mosquito bite.
Be careful out there and watch out for those bears.

Safarigrl said...

You know those rocks I'm going to send you? I'm going to box up some of these mosquitoes too so that you get the whole experience, watch out for your eyes!