Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Back to the USA, Alaska

You haven't heard from us in awhile, because we have been laying low in Dawson City,
I seemed to have somehow injured my left leg, and knee,
it is a very colorful shade of purple,
don't remember doing anything to it,
but having no insurance in Canada, we thought we should head back to the USA, the quickest way would be over the Top Of The World Highway,
Cindy had read more about it and discovered that where we stopped, when we took the day trip up there,
in our car,
was where the worst of the road started,
she was not too happy about going that way, but the other way would take 3 days longerThe trip over on the ferry was a breeze, we could do this with our
eyes shut, no sweat
Back we go up the mountains, we've come this way before, it's ok



The cliffs look a little steeper in the motorhome



Very pretty





OK, we've gone past where we stopped and the road is worse, dirt, chuckholes and narrow, don't like it
Lot's of switchbacks, don't know where the stories came from about people losing their tow car in the switchbacks, didn't see anything that bad



This is an old Alaska dredge, they certainly didn't do any restoring to it like The Yukon did




Fields and fields of burnt forest, nothing there, no animals, no birds, nothing



The road was like someone's alley

Always afraid you would meet up with someone coming the other way with no room to pass, only happened once and the cliff was on the side of the other motorhome, I could see that he had only inches for his tires before he was going off the cliff, I don't think he saw it, as fast as he was going, but his wife was pretty white



Chicken, Alaska, population 43 people and one onery one, they named it Chicken because they couldn't spell or pronounce ptarmagins, see I didn't spell it right either, lots of bumper stickers that said "I got laid in Chicken"


There isn't much between Chicken and Tok, Alaska, potholes, heaves in the road from the frost, minus 30 degrees doesn't take to kindly to the road and they seem to have just given up on fixing it, I laid down on the bed in the motorhome because my leg was hurting and I had the experience of belly flopping on the bed all the way down the road, and Cindy never went over 30 miles an hour, took us over 7 hours to go 150 miles





Cindy said wake up and come and look at these mountains, (like I could have been alseep)






The Alaskan Mountain Range, taken through our motorhome window, we now have 2 more dings in the window, so you'll have to look around them, we do








It started to rain, but it still was beautiful . I love the clouds






August is the rainy season in The Yukon and Alaska, lots of thunder and lightning because it is so hot


The dogs were very unimpressed with the scenery or the bumps in the road, Gracie is mulling over her roll on a dead carcass of something which caused her to have her second shower outside of the motorhome, and she smelled so gooood too




Where you see the change of road is a frost heave and when the motorhome goes over it, it feels like you are launching in to a new stratosphere


This looks like they fixed this hole but when you go over it, it feels like they didn't fix it



Remember this is not the Alaskan Highway, this is Taylor Highway, the Alaskan Highway, which you can drive through Alaska on is like a dream road after this


The Alaskan Highway, good road at last



I think they took out some of the curves here


In 2004 there were 741 fires in Alaska, not a large number or unusual for such a hot summer, but those fires burnt more forest than any other year, mostly started by lightning




This particular fire burnt over 1.3 million acres, everywhere you looked there were burnt trees

















Most of the bad section's of road are marked, but then some sneak up on you






Sand dunes, looked like you were at the beach




We are going to Tok, seems like all roads in Alaska end up going through Tok



The closer we get to Tok we see another fire, one that happened in 1990, they say that it was headed toward wiping out Tok, when a freak wind changed it's direction








Finally, we are in Tok, will look for a clinic to look at leg, and if all ok will head to Valdez, the end of the pipeline







































































4 comments:

badavenport said...

I WAS SCARED SILLY ON THAT FREAKIN' NARROW DIRT ROAD.....I actually gulped air when "we" pulled onto the Alaskan HWY!! WHEW...What did the Doc say about the leg, hope it's nothing serious, and shame on you for washing off "dead decaying unidentifiable animal" perfume, that stuff is hard to come by!! Will you be headed north up to Fairbanks or have you been as far north as you are going to be?? I see you are going to Valdez so I am assuming you continue south now, but one never knows!!

badavenport said...

Me again, I just scrolled down and read your reply to my post. It takes me awhile to learn my way around sometimes but I think I am finally "gettin' it". We have been to Alaska 7-8 times, but always flew in and rented cars. We have been primarily in Fairbanks, Anchorage, and in between on the Richardson HWY. We did drive up to Circle in 2005, that was fun, August and 33 degrees. My son lives in Fairbanks so we spend 80% of our time there, enjoying the local scene, fairs, the paddlewheel boat trip on the Tanana, Chena Hot Springs, downtown shopping, blah blah blah. I love Alaska but was once attacked by a "herd of mosquitos", and I do mean a HERD, they were so thick that I choked on them when a took a breath, scared the snot out of me, damn things are evil!!! And I once drove a atv into the vacinity of a bear bait pile, that was a little scary. I love the way vegetables grow up there, and the local arts, including story quilts and totems. It is a facinating place. Ok so let me get this straight, when I log back on later, I need to come back to this comment section in order to read any comments from you, is that correct? Or is there a place I can read all comments, where they are gathered together for the common good of all mankind, and ease of use for older challenged girls like me?

badavenport said...

Did you ever find out the travel-log web address of the Seeing Eye Dog School Drop Out dog (damn that is a mouth full but makes perfect sense to me, what about you?" I would love to follow her travels too!!

Safarigrl said...

Hey
Barbara, no, I don't know much more about this website than you, I kind of find stuff by hunt or peck, saw once that I could turn off the deal that you would have to log in before you comment, so I turned that off and now you can comment without putting any name in, I haven't gotten anything back from Michael and Randy yet, but my emails kind of get sent out to outer space sometimes, WiFi around here is by Sattelite and if someone is sending lots of pictures it takes up the band width and knocks everyone else off the internet and that seems to happen to me alot when I hit send, so I never know if anybody gets my email or.....they are just ignoring me.....