Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Fairbanks to Denali

As soon as you get across the border from Canada the price of diesel and gas goes way down, we paid as high as $6.25 a gallon for diesel in Canada, this is in Fairbanks It was raining when we left Fairbanks
We are getting on what is called the Parks Highway, all the highways, (their freeways) are better known by names, the Alaska Highway, comes up from the lower states through Canadaand ends before it gets to Fairbanks, the Richardson goes from Valdez north to Fairbanks, the Dalton goes from Fairbaniks to Prudhoe Bay, and the newest highway, the Parks Highway built in the 70's goes by Denali Park and connects Anchorage with Fairbanks

I'm interested in these power lines because they go from the town of Healy
(where Cindy lived for 2 years)
to Fairbanks, and were built to supply electricity to Fairbanks from coal mined out of the hills in Healy, they bill it a"Clean" Coal Power


This is the railroad bridge across the Tanana, railroads play a much bigger role in Alaska's transportation than anywhere else I have been, especially tourism, we've seen train load after train load of cruise passengers from every cruise line you can imagine all over Alaska, guess they don't have to put up with the roads that way and I am sure the scenery is outstanding





We are getting ready to cross into Nanana, and yes it sound just like banana, this is a very important town in Alaska, this is where all the stores for all the little towns and settlements get shipped by barge, propane tanks will have names of people on them and are barged down to Nanana to be filled, then sent back up the river to supply them with their propane and all their other supplies, the barges are self propelled and don't require a tug boat



The other thing that Nanana is known for is it's Ice Break Up Contest, a tripod is put on the ice when the river is frozen, connected to a clock, and everyone buys a $2.50 chance at guessing when the ice will break up in the spring, it's a big deal around here with the winner getting thousands of dollars















The Tanana River flows into the Yukon River











It's a very cute little town










Here's an update on the leg, blood is following gravity, down it goes, it is in my foot now, makes me wonder, where does it go now, to my big toe?













That was the front of my leg, this is the back of my leg














I really do have chicken legs, it runs in the family, this is like taking a picture of your fish, it's that big, but it shows the bruise going down
















The bruise eventually went all the way around my leg, who knows what happened















We drove a little over a hundred miles to Healy, which is just north of Denali Park, was an easy drive, and pretty much rained and was overcast throughout the drive








































































































































































































3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wilderness Girls,
Gas prices look rather comparable to our prices in Virginia in Fairbanks. But those Canadian prices are too pricey. Don't suppose you could tie ropes onto those mosquitoes and have them pull you down the road - could you? It seems we should be able to make a good use of mosquitoes since they are so plentiful in Alaska. I will be sure not to open any large packages that have a buzzing sound. After seeing what those hungry beast do to you (especially your eyes), I don't want to see any of them personally. And I definitely don't want them multiplying around here. So you can just send that box of mosquitoes to someone else. I will take a rock with the "fool's gold".
Your leg still looks awful but I guess it is getting better - just takes a long time for the wonderful "color" to go away. I don't know of anything to expedite this at this time. If I would have thought of it -- I would have told you to put ice packs to your leg -- as the bruising was spreading. That might would have slowed down the bleeding process but who knows. I remember you saying they checked your clotting time. Did they also check your hematocrit (blood volume) to make sure you didn't lose too much blood? Believe it or not, your body will slowly absorb all of this -- hopefully before you return back home. Just need to take it easy to make sure you don't trigger more bleeding.
Not much going on here. I am more depressed -- since seeing Jennifer in California. I miss her greatly. They celebrated their first wedding anniversary this weekend. They went to Mt. St. Helens and climbed it --- over 11 miles. They both are pretty sore. I told her that you had send me some great pictures of it from an airplane - you could see down inside of it. I will see if I can find them on my computer and send them to her. It's hard to believe -- last year during this time -- we were celebrating their wedding. I was OK until we saw them the other week in CA. Don't know when we will see them again -- Christmas perhaps. They will come here -- it's less expensive than all of us flying out there. She wanted us all to see San Francisco -- and we did. It was beautiful. It will probably be 3 to 5 years before they can think about moving back to this area (side of the world). :o(
Tell Cindy she can't come back home until she lets you see the bears. We want bear pictures. Do they have zoo's in Alaska? I bet they have plenty of bears there -- if you can find a zoo. Maybe you need to get a little stuff bear to sit on your dash -- to bring out the bears. I saw a cute one at the San Francisco Zoo the other week. I should have gotten him for you. It was a Grizzly. He would have made friends with your Moosey.
Take care and continue to have fun in Alaska. I never get tired of seeing the scenery. It is a beautiful place. I looked back over the photo's that you have sent -- earlier tonight. Very nice pictures. Thanks again for sharing your adventure with us. I wonder where everyone else is with their comments. I guess Barbara and I are the only brave souls on this trip with you -- and I know you and Cindy and Rainer and Gracie are very brave -- since you are traveling on some of the worse roads I have ever seen. Hopefully, you left those roads behind you. Cindy must be one great driver -- not getting you stuck and not running off the road. It didn't look like much traffic on those roads and if you had had more problems (other than the windshield wiper blades), you would have had to abandon the RV and hopped on a train.
Take care and continue to be good to your leg.
Your friend,
Linda2

Anonymous said...

Oh - I forgot to tell you that someone said banana peels would keep mosquitoes away from you. I think you have to rub the inside of a banana peel on your skin to repell the mosquitoes. I don't personally like banana's or the way they smell but I don't like mosquito bites any better so I would try the banana peels - I would even tie one around my neck if it would keep those pesty critters (mosquitoes away. Hopefully, you have found a grocery store with better prices for banana's than the last place you went to.
Linda2

Safarigrl said...

Linda, I bought banana's here in Anchorage for 50 cents a pound, at Costco, not so sure about rubbing the peals on me, but the mosquitoes are hardly out at all, we haven't seen any since Dawson City, weird, wonder where they went. Had a hard time getting an internet that worked to comment or put anything on so trying to make the most out of this one, we are leaving tomorrow for Stewart, glad you are enjoying the blog, there are more people looking at it and they are telling me that they can't make any comments that it won't take them. My brother is here watching, my Dad, Hi Kathy, Chuck and Jerry, Barbara in Everett, Hobby and Barbara, Willey and Karla, Curtie says she is watching, Simone lost my web address, but I gave it to her again and told her there would be a quiz when I got home, and I don't know who else is watching, but I'm just happy you are looking at it and I can share this great time with someone, it really has been fun.