Sunday, August 19, 2007

Life and death in Valdez








We see these seagulls in the distance,



I had never seen anything like it,



so many of them,



they were going clockwise in a circle



suddenly they would change and reverse their direction,



spinning, fast







We were across town from them, we had to go see what was going on















In the middle of the harbor you see seagulls flying around getting the stuff that the fish canneries throw back, but this was no where near that















It's like the birds






The Humpback Salmon are spawning, that's the attraction

The Silver Salmon are waiting out in the bay until the Humpbacks are through, I wonder how they know







I once saw a Mark Morris dance called Suzie Salmon Swam,



I never really understood it until now,



they twirl,



and slam themselves into the earth with such fierceness,



that when they do finally stop moving,



you are never sure if that's the end







There was a couple from Iowa next to us when we saw this, the man said it was the saddest thing he had seen, and just walked away shaking his head





The next day we came back and saw this, maybe a bear, or wolf

The seagulls wait until the salmon die before they start eating


I have seen salmon spawn before, but never have I seen them come out of the bay, and die a few feet away









There is only about a quarter of an inch of water there that the salmon throw themselves up on to





Cindy and I weren't very impressed with Valdez, it seemed to have an air about it that it had given up, first the earthquake, then the oil spill, then we looked again, and changed our minds



The Valdez Glacier, you can drive right up to it



















An appropriate name for a church





Beauty to spare





Only one road in and out of it, Valdez is still pretty isolated, imagine keeping that road snowplowed with 33 feet of snow each year





Valdez is as strange as anywhere else, they sell t shirts that say,



"Valdez, a Drinking Town, with a small Fishing Problem"


































4 comments:

badavenport said...

I love the pics of the puffins, I really enjoyed the boat trip, and your sailboat photo was a beaut!!!! I think you still shine as the premiere eagle photog, but it is good to be diverse, add a new element, after all sailboats and eagle go together....don't they? The fishicides was not pretty, but I suppose you have a responsibilty as a blogger to give it to us like it is, the hard cold reality, and yes Valdez does look creepy, I was there once, before the Exxon thing and it was different, to bad but maybe your blog will open some eyes and make changes, that is what I am hoping for..........and so I sent emails to Oprah, Ellen and both GMA and Today inviting whoever reads their emails to come look at your blog, I hope they do, I will be watching for your interview!!! I mean who knew why otters twirl, thanks to you we all do now. How did Gracie do with her sitter? My guess she did good until Moms came to pick her up and on the way to the car she turn and spouted off....true?? She did didn't she!!

Safarigrl said...

Be still my heart, my head is spinning, Today show, GMA, Ellen, I'm not doing the View unless Whoopi is there, I really liked Rosie, in fact she is the reason I'm doing this blog, I read rblog.comm, her blog and thought, I can do that! She doesn't worry about spelling or grammer (it just gets in the way of your thought) and I thought, I can do that! And yes, Gracie did do that.

badavenport said...

I forgot about The View but I have since sent an email to Joy, I would think she will be contacting someone soon.........really wouldn't it be awesome if one of those emails got to just the right person, and your blog was spotlighted on one of those shows and the whole world starting reading and looking.......WOW...
Gracie continues to crack me up, I wonder if Rainier ever feels embarassment, I told Ellen in the email I sent to her that Rainier takes very good care of his baby eagle...........that should pull her in!!! Gotta run,the pork roast is just about ready to set on the table, keep on havin fun!!

Safarigrl said...

OK you are officially my agent, wheel and deal with the big wigs, get me a star in Hollywood, I'm not a real big fan of Letterman's but I do like Tony Danza if he ever does another talk show. Gracie, of course will have to deal her own contract, she has very specific demands.....and she'll let you know what they are when the time comes.