Sunday, August 19, 2007

Back to the Yukon heading home

We left Valdez and went back up the only road we could, the Richardson Road, since we already had alot of pictures from the trip down we only took two, The Thompson Pass sign, which Cindy Thompson said was a must this time


After driving north from Valdez
and staying the night in Tok,
same place we stayed going up,
good wifi then, nothing this time,
we drove east on the Alaska Highway to Cottonwood,
on Kluane Lake, in the Yukon





This is Mount Elias and the Wrangle Mountain Range, the same one I was trying to get a picture of but it was in the clouds, I keep trying....




















The silt from the glaciers causes this braiding effect on the rivers





This is Mount Elias in the Wrangel Mountain Range,
some of the most remote parts of Alaska,
I tried for miles to get it without clouds,
poking my head out my window,
while Cindy tooled down the highway



























































































We think it's going to rain and hoping to wipe the bugs off the windshield when it does
Gracie and Rainier get out and run around, Gracie manages to find a vindictive sticker bush and is covered with stickers all around her eyes, nose and ears, spent an hour taking them out of her, Ranier got a couple but that was it



















You guys need to look at these bugs for awhile, you aren't having to put up with the bug bites, I've got one inbetween my eyes that makes me look like I'm part of a religous sect





So we stay in the same campgound in Tok that we stayed in coming up, free wifi, worked great, this time it didn't, everyone was mad, woman at the desk say's I'm so sick of you people complaining about the wifi, we spent hundreds of dollars trying to make it work and it doesn't,

end of storyBut I did get these amazing pictures of these mushrooms






We are getting close to the Canadian Border, so we get Rainbow, the mooses' Canadian flags out, this is our ploy to get through the border crossings faster


Our Protect a Tow is trying valiantly to protect us, but I'm not sure how many times we can string it up



















The blooms are all off the fireweed, things are closing down, and it's beginning to look alot like
Autumn





The calm before the storm

We didn't go this way to Alaska, went further up to Dawson City and then into Alaska through the Top of the World Road,

this was 30 miles of road we hadn't anticipated, very rough


The road looks like these telephone poles, the marshland under the permafrost causes frost heaves like you wouldn't believe, there is nothing the road crew can do, they have tried everything, but the road it still absolutely the worst road I have ever been on in my life, my head hurts just thinking about it, up and down, up and down
Nothing will stand up in this ground, even the cabin is
cattiwampus




Canadian Custom's don't hardly ask us any questions at all, don't think we look like women to be messed with at this point






We finally get to the Yukon, now that it's calmed down a bit on the road I'll call Chuck and wish him Happy Birthday, no I won't, Verizon doesn't work in the Yukon, doesn't work very well in Alaska,

Happy Birthday Chuck!

















We were looking forward to the gravel, it meant no frost heaves, and then......there was washboard
There are swans all around this area,
Cindy keeps telling me Swan, Swan,
and by the time I get my head out the window,
they're gone,
finally got a picture of one,
wouldn't you know it, both swans have their heads in the water,
what's the chances of that?
This is called a drunken forest,
it happens because there is marsh land under the ground here,
and with permafrost it causes a tremendous upheavel in the land,
it is the reason that the Alcan Highway is the worst here,
they have tried to fix it,
make it better,
but Mother Nature takes over and
makes it a roller coaster ride down this stretch of highway
This picture perfectly depicts how we felt, our washing machine broke its tie downs and is walking out of it's closet every couple minutes, our toilet is leaking water, a bolt has come out of our exit step, our protect a tow screen is draggin on the road, and our brake wires have ripped apart, not to mention our rear ends hurt





I wanted to stop here at Buckshot Betty's, but Cindy said no, she was afraid Gracie would start something


These are little quansat buildings that were left over from the building of the Alcan, there are three of them made into churches on the
Alaskan Highway today

I keep trying to get pictures of these ponds out the window, by the time I get set up the trees are blocking my view, imagine, I have my head stuck out a 1 foot by 2 foot hole, clicking as fast as I can yelling at Cindy to stop, slow down, she doesn't listen to me



You kind of get shell shocked by the road, we see people flying by at 50 miles an hour, their vehicle looks like it's on a pogo stick, I think they just gave up and accepted it, Cindy and I hunkered down at top speed of 20mph
We finally get to Watson Lake, all shook up, washing machine that dances better than me, exit step with only three legs, protect a tow, protecting nothing but the inside of our storage unit, but we're here, and tired

















































































4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wilderness Girls,
Welcome back to Canada. I am still laughing over those last comments and pictures. You're just too funny. I guess all of that "up and down motion" -- from the road conditions -- gets your brain to spitting out all kinds of comments. From the sounds of things - you are fortunate to have a head left especially after riding half the way with it sticking out of a small opening and also with the mosquitoes attacking you again. And you did this just so we could get pictures without the smashed bugs on your windshield. THANK YOU> I have to admit, I have been looking at each picture for something much larger than smashed bugs -- I am looking for bears. I did see the drawing of one on the side of a building in the last bunch of pictures you posted. I guess what I am saying is -- don't worry about the windshield bugs, just continue to take pictures through the windshield. You don't need to be eaten by any more mosquitoes. Of course, if Cindy wants to take your picture with your "between the eyes" marking and post it -- we would probably just die laughing. Sorry -- I know we should be very grateful for everything you have gone through to make this adventure as pleasant as it has been -- for each of us who are tagging along on the Internet ride with you. It has been wonderful for us. And none of us will be opening any packages from you -- in the near future. I know it would be packed full of those ferocious hungry mosquitoes. I'm not taking any chances.
Thanks for being so determined to get the mountain pictures without the clouds. Do they have snow on them year-round? Does any new snow fall at this time of the year? I am not up on my glaciers or Alaska. You have done an excellent job of educating most of us -- as you traveled this trip. That was great!!!
Can't believe those swans were that bashful! At least we got to see their hindsides so we know that you weren't just making this up -- about there being swans.
Now did you give the road the name "washboard" or did someone beat you to that? The pictures showed a oood reason - it is named this.
Take care and get some rest. And for goodness sakes -- stay away from those mosquitoes.
Your friend,
Linda2

Safarigrl said...

Oh Linda, I've got mosquito bites all over the back of my neck, big huge welts, and of course my famous, religous sect marking. I can't find my stuff I used in Inuvik to keep them away, but I did find my Watson repellant, that I hadn't tried, I think it is an atractant, they are flocking to me, but Cindy has no bites, at all, I'm not going with anybody next time unless they can take some of the bites themselves.The snow on the mountains are glaciers, snow packed into ice, no, there is no snow this time of the year, there can be the first of September, but more likely the last of September. I've heard of washboard a long time ago, must be a Seattle word, how do you say Washington, with an "R" I do, I forgot, you've got that southern accent, you don't seem that far south in Virginia.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your bites, but the pictures are awfully nice. So just what do you two talk about whilst driving about at 20 mph? Have you solved all the problems of the world yet?

Safarigrl said...

Why Barbara we talk about you of course, as you are the center of the universe, and yes, we have solved all of YOUR problems, you know how people like to other's dishes but not their own. No, really I don't know what we talk about, but we haven't listed to music at all like I thought we would, it has been fun taking pictures for the blog because everything we see we both think whether we should tell you all about it or not, and if so, we gotta get a picture of it, so that has been fun, it takes along time to do the blog when we get in at night, Cindy plays POGO and occasional helps me with some spelling decisions, she proofreads it when I'm done, so any problems see her. And I generally have to do it in the middle of the night when noone is using the internet, but I don't sleep well so that works out.
I am amazed that some of the pictures turned out so well, and also amazed noone mentioned the smiley face that just appeared on the picture, we have no idea where it came from. Anybody havce a clue?