Sunday, August 5, 2007

Second day in Seward

Silly me, I should have read my own blog,
this is the coal from Healy,
remember that coal mine I showed you,
and told you that they shipped the coal to South Korea from Seward?I went to the aquarium, that Exxon and Senator Stevens had such a big hand in, this was just inside the door to it

I'm not sure it's a legacy I'd be proud of

Shows all the places the oil went



It has to be the world's largest collection of puffins











It was bath time


















































































They have bat like wings that spin and twirl when they swim





























These were the only sea lions that I saw, I don't think they feed them enough, or maybe they got caught up in the oil spill


































Here's where they were suppose to be


















The Hooked Nose Salmon


















You could take the wand there and point to whatever sea life that was on the board and find out what Exxon is doing to bring back that particular sea life





















The spotlight was on the Spot Shrimp





















This is the home of Mitch Seaver, the winner of the Idiarod,
and also the owner of this business






















This Husky was just fine until Gracie yelled out the window,
"Your Mommy wears muk luks"









































































So you get into this sled on wheels, and careen around this dirt track, I thought it sounded like a great time, Cindy was not impressed, neither was Gracie























































We continue on to see the Exit Glacier




























We turn the corner and there it is,
one of 30 glaciers on the Harding Ice Field,
named after President Harding,
the ice field lays on the top across the Kenai Penisula,
the glaciers spill down on either side,
they have made, over the years the Fjords,
underneath the glaciers




























This particular glacier churns up the ground and makes all of Seward's road gravel































Exit Glacier is the only glacier that you can drive up to, of the 30 that are on Harding Ice Field































This is called the Out take field of the glacier,
where the water runs off the glacier,
of course it's silty from all the rocks it chews up


































































Pappa bear, Mama bear, and Baby bear


































A map of the Kenai Penisula Fjords and Glaciers






































































































































































































































And yes, there was a cruise ship in today, on Sunday












































4 comments:

badavenport said...

WOW, I love Seward, I have never been there but I want to go and I want to go in that cool SCARY tunnel to Whittier, heck I think I may want to live in that one building with all the other Whittier-ites. I need to look into that, just what is life like for the 186 folks, I mean it could get real messing during the course of one winter, yes, it could get real ugly!!! You crack me up, "nice of the man to pet the fish before gutting them", I will laugh about that for days. The cemetery was very cool, I especially liked the antler memorial, and what was tucked under them, was that wine bottles? Nice......and tell me why you took a picture of Chris Hanson's stone, he died on June 25th, which happens to be my birthday, ooooohhhhhhh creepppppyyyyyy.........ooooooohhhhhhhhh (heeheeeheeeee) As alway, I absolutely loved seeing your awesome photos, I got a kick out of the puffin taking a bath, and reading your narrative, I like that the best of all, you tell so much and it is so often is it soooooooo funny, never boring for sure. I will just keep on checkin in, and tell Gracie she needs to be very careful talkin trash about mom's, of course the danger to herself is minimal when she is shouting out the window of a moving vehicle!!! She makes me laugh!!! Have fun and be safe!!

Safarigrl said...

Good to hear your comments, I was in bed last night and thought, heck I haven't seen Barbara or Linda2 commenting lately, have I said something to offend them, and then there you are...where is Linda 2??? That is weird about the gravestone, Twilight Zone.....

Anonymous said...

I did too comment on your previous posts...check out the hooker salmon one. And did you ever read the one about you being followed?

Anonymous said...

Thanks :)
--
http://www.miriadafilms.ru/ купить кино
для сайта rvingtoalaska.blogspot.com