Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The eagle has not landed

It's Jean,
the Eagle Lady,
you knew I'd run into her.... didn't you,
she is a wonderful person,
as you would have expected
of anybody who spends a good part of their life feeding eagles,
she said that she will be on Good Morning America,
August 21st, or 22nd,
watch itAcross the street from where Jean feeds her eagles in the winter is this eagle who hangs around, the same one, we think, who hangs around our motorhome My second eagle picture


Most wildlife eagle photographers manage to take pictures of eagles in trees and branches, but I think a light pole is a welcome departure from all that









This new camera, Olympus, has an 18 times zoom, so I am zoomed waiting for it to take off into flight, an eagle winged shot, as us wildlife photographers call it (ok, I made that up)






Excitement it was taking off







No, it was ruffling it's feathers





This is Mona, from the Lands End Restaurant, where every morning the Eagle Lady eats her breakfast, or as Mona says, "She doesn't eat anything, just sits there, smokes her cigarettes and drinks coffee."




Mona also told me that up until a couple years ago, Jean lived in that trailer that she came to Alaska in 30 years ago, some eagle photographers got together and bought this new trailer for her, and not very long ago an anonymous donor bought her a new truck, she had been picking up her fish guts in a really old pick up for years
Mona also wanted me to tell you that she is a normal Alaskan, not all Alaskan's are Eskimo's who live in Igloo's

Someone did a study and discovered that 80 percent of all the eagle pictures that we see, and that's we from all over the world, are The Eagle Lady's Eagles, so many photographers from around the world have come here to take eagle pictures
You can donate money for her eagle feeding by sending it to The Eagle Lady, Homer Alaska

4 comments:

badavenport said...

Jean the Eagle Lady does not look anything like I pictured!! She certainly does not look that old in the picture, maybe handling fish guts has it's benefits, you know like, antioxidants or something, omegas galore...
You crack me us, "a winged shot", I know the moment I read that that you had taken creative license with phrasing....I really didn't, actually it sounded very reasonable and I would have went on to tell my friends about how wildlife photographers work their entire careers hoping for a winged eagle shot!!! You are just too funny!! How is Gracie today, better I hope. I can't tell you girls how much I have enjoyed traveling along with you, it really has been fun, I hate to ask because maybe I don't want to know, but when do you plan to be home? Oh and your explanation for why a spit is called a spit, well, considering the winged comment, I am not so sure I am buying into that spit thing, it sounds reasonable but I may have to look into that my own self!! Not that I don't trust you, I just know me, gullible!!! Happy travels to you today!!

Safarigrl said...

No, really, Barbara,(sounds fishy already, doesn't it?)I saw it in one of the visitor centers we were in, that Seward gets all it's gravel, for road work, from the Exit Glacier, it just churns it out for them. We will be heading home after our trip to Valdez, but to get there we have a few more weeks of sightseeing on the way, plan on being home sometime at the end of August, or first of September.

badavenport said...

mmmmmmmhhhhhmmmmmmmm.......

badavenport said...

How very cool to be linked on another site like that!! You may go National before it is over, can you say Today Show!!!!